Friday, November 12, 2010

Writing "About Something"

Dwight Atkinson's post-process theory article was excellent, and I particularly liked it when he said, "I have rarely encouraged self-discovery as the primary purpose of writing assignments; quite to the contrary, these assignments typically asked students to write 'about something'--some social issue or concern beyond their purely personal, individual lives" (1537). I'm interested in self-discovery in writing, and writing for therapeutic purposes. But I also believe that writing for the sake of composing yourself can be misleading, inauthentic, and egotistical. I am reminded of a woman I met in Louisville, Kentucky, a few years ago; she was an artist who displayed a new self-portrait every summer for tourists and art-lovers in a small studio downtown. Her only project for the entire year was to reconstruct a new image of herself; then, at the end of the year, she would begin to paint over it with a new construction of herself. It seemed.....pointless? Cocky? Strange? I had a sudden empathy for students who hate to freewrite for the sole purpose of bringing their subconscious to the forefront. Ultimately, who cares?

It made me think about the visiting Chinese scholars that came to our class on Thursday, and how their students were enthusiastic about studying different cultures. I wondered if my own students knew about American current events, let alone worldwide ones. I realized that self-discovery can come about best by what Atkinson proposes: writing "about something." What better way to invite the underlives and cultures of students to a classroom than by inviting them all collectively to step outside of their backgrounds and explore new territories?

I only lived in Japan for 15 months, but I did have the opportunity to move between the east coast and the west coast, to live in the city as well as the country. It was exciting to live not as a tourist in these different places, but as a Japanese person. I lived with Japanese girls, ate only Japanese food, and learned the Japanese language. I realized what it was to be an American by living someplace different. I remember when I finally came home, everyone seemed huge (huge bodies, huge voices, huge cars, huge purses and bags), and places like WalMart really creeped me out.

Thomas Friedman recently wrote an op-ed piece in the New York Times called "Too Many Hamburgers" about how China, despite its governmental differences, has managed to work together and successfully create and implement great advances in their cities and economy. America, on the other hand, is quickly sliding away from whatever strengths we boast the democracy gives us. The article ended in patriotism and optimism, but with a strong warning that unless politicians spend more time working for the people and less time working to get their votes, we're screwed.

While I don't think that our students are incredibly dumber than students in China or Japan (it was apparent from some of the comments from our visiting scholars that Chinese college students slack off and disappoint their teachers just as much as our student do here), the multicultural influences these students have in other countries make them much more marketable and self-realized than the students who only know about their own hometowns. Bilingualism teaches a person more than just a second language.

I think our students need to be pushed to step outside of themselves more. I think every writing assignment should include research, even personal narratives. The syllabus that I am working on for this class is research heavy. I don't want students to be afraid of research--I want them to crave it. We need more curiosity and less pride. I'm grateful to be entering the field of composition during a paradigm of post-process theory.

4 comments:

  1. "We need more curiosity and less pride."

    I like this! And I agree with the idea of writing "about something." In a way, it still accomplishes what general freewriting hopes to accomplish (I think so, anyway) because students' personal experiences will end up coloring the ways in which they approach whatever they're writing about.

    I also agree that not only students, but people in this country need to be a little more aware of everything. Not only are people ignorant of worldwide events, but some people don't even know about current events, and that's just sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea that convincing students of the importance of writing should go hand in hand with writing about something important. Your point about the probable lack of knowledge our students have of their own culture and cultures outside of that brings up a possibly untapped potential for writing in our program (where the articles they read focus primarily on language). If the writing process can establish an understanding of cultures, this could not only create interest in writing, but fashions writing as a personal dialogue for students with the world around them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am focusing my syllabus on a multi-cultural approach to teaching Composition. I think that a reader which focuses on multilple cultural viewpoints is a critical component of such work. However, I also think that multi-culturality can be fostered through the sharing of personal freewriting (which I agree should often be directed). Most of our classes are multi-cultural, possess multiple points of view, live in various ways, have differing backgrounds. Letting students teach themselves is critical in developing a realistic idea of the breadth of culture, especially if their self-reflection is tied to broader articles which emphasize culture which is different even from those inside the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly think one of the primary problems with public education in the United States is that we allow the states to have too much control over what should be taught. I believe that we ought to have national standards beyond just standardized texts. Then, something like requiring language education from a young age might be possible. Also, it would take some power away from crazy Texas, which would be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete