Friday, November 19, 2010

Rhetorical Appeals Poster


CLICK ON THE POSTER TO SEE A LARGER IMAGE

Okay, I need some suggestions from you all on this poster. I feel like I've been working on it for so long that I can't quite look at it from an outsider's perspective. I want to make something that will help students understand logos, ethos, and pathos more effectively.

I'm not sure if the wording is strong enough, or if the examples I have given are helpful or not. I'm bugged that my lists aren't parallel, but, for example, if I write "cause-and-effect statements" instead of just "cause and effect" the poster layout gets ugly. Sheesh. I'm not completely sold on what my lists include (and exclude), either. Also, I'm not sure if the colors or the graphics are working as well as a different theme or color scheme would. The main title font has been impossible to choose. I sort of think that the overall display of the poster is amateurish, but I'm not sure what exactly is bugging me or how to approach revising it. Any and all comments will be immensely helpful.

Also, a huge thanks to Dr. Rice for helping me get the poster to this point. He helped me organize the layout to be readable and organized--my first draft looked pretty chaotic. However, I am a little worried about the red words (CHARACTER, REASON, EMOTION) overlapping the black headings (ETHOS, LOGOS, PATHOS) as much as they are. I'm afraid they won't be as eye-catching or as readable. But every time I try to mess with the titles, I just seem to be making things worse. My original poster had ETHOS, LOGOS, and PATHOS as a much bigger font than the above title, RHETORICAL APPEALS. I think the title probably should be bigger than the subtitles, but I'm worried that the subtitles are too drowned out now. Ugh, I just have to stop looking at it for a little bit. Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions you all have.

6 comments:

  1. I really like this. I think that your examples and explanation are helpful and informative. And I personally love the red words and the way they overlap. It calls attention to the meaning (which is realistically more important than knowing the words "ethos," "pathos," and "logos." Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your poster! I especially like your "Aristotle says" part at the bottom (maybe add a very light drop shadow behind "Aristotle says" so the words don't blend into the light background?), and I like the presentation of your points. If you think the red words aren't standing out, you could try increasing the size by one or two points, but I like that they're in red because it makes them stand out. You also might consider moving the red words a bit so that half the "S" isn't covered up on all of them. Whenever I overlap words, I try to make sure more than half of whatever is covered up is showing (hope that made sense). So, maybe scoot the red words down and to the right 2-3 pixels each? Or rotate them clockwise just a tiny bit. Cuz if you consider the width of each of your colored sections, you still have a lot of room to work with. I like the overlapping, but if you want your red words to stand out a bit more, maybe increase the size and let them dominate a little more of the right side of the colored panels.

    I also had a suggestion on your colors. What if you made the middle panel yellow instead of blue? Then the poster sort of reminds me of a traffic light. Maybe it would encourage people to stop and look at it? This is how the middle looks like yellow: http://i52.tinypic.com/2mqoj5y.jpg

    These are just suggestions, though, so you don't have to listen to me! Overall, I really like your poster! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joya,

    IMMENSELY HELPFUL. I don't know how you managed to add color to the image, either--you really are a computer guru!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily--Enjoyed working with you this semester. Wish you the best in your studies, finishing up your degree! Poster does look good.--Dr. Rice

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is exactly what I was looking for! Do you mind if I print it out for my classroom? Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I purchase this or print it out for my classroom?

    ReplyDelete