Friday, October 22, 2010

Why Goofing Off in Class Can Be Good, or, My Hippie Creed


The most influential professor of my life is a woman named Sharon Morgan who works at a small university in southeastern Idaho and who doesn't have a PhD, but who did publish her memoirs at the start of her career. She is the head of the Writing Center, and I worked for her as an undergraduate. The job required that we enroll in a 2-credit writing seminar taught by Sister Morgan (it was a religious university we attended, where instead of specifying between Dr. and Prof., we were asked to refer to our teachers as Brother or Sister) that included lessons in both tutoring and composition. Our underlives were not only welcome, but demanded. Our knowledge of her underlife was another requirement. She taught personal essays before she taught anything else. Every semester (usually more than once), we would have a big barbecue at her house by a river, where she lives alone with a cat and a dog.

That class mattered. That job mattered. Sister Morgan was our mentor, our respected professor, and our friend. We rode her canoe in the river, we made birdhouses with her on her back porch, we had movie marathons, played cards, and did homework there on weekends. We cried over relationship breakups on her sofa, and we all read her memoir even though she told us not to bother with it.

My point is, we were safe to be goofy, and we were safe to be serious. We had a large notebook that we kept in the Writing Center where we could all leave entries and talk to each other even if we tutored on different days, different hours. Knowing each other was important. We read each others' writing, knew each others' interests. We gave each other criticism because we wanted success for each other. Being one of Sister Morgan's tutors meant giving a part of yourself to the cause.

I've worked at other Writing Centers to know that ours was unnaturally effective. Her tutors became better students in their other classes. Her enthusiasm for the writing process and for literature was not only admirable but addictive. Our work felt important. The students we tutored felt important. Writing was important.

After laughing hard while playing games and tossing frisbees, we would quiet down and talk about all the kinds of serious topics undergrads are supposed to talk about late at night with each other, and we would talk until well into the a.m. at this professor's home. These conversations always felt so important. So vital. So meaningful. We would go home with things we wanted to research, things we wanted to write about.

Yesterday's class was a little silly. My underlife of a GoogleChatter came to the forefront, and my fingers forgot I was in a graduate seminar. But that doesn't mean I wasn't thinking. That doesn't mean I wasn't learning from others. In fact, it reminded me of old times, when "collaborating" wasn't pointed out or scheduled in, but it just happened because I WANTED to hear what these people I loved had to say. I wanted their fingers in my brain/heart clay, and I wanted not a grade, but to BECOME someone educated, strong, and eloquent. Embrace the underlife, I say, in all it's multitudinous forms. Care about where your students are coming from, and don't let them mark you as a robot. What the hell is this all for if the only thing I want from my students is to make them do what I say? That's not why I'm in this gig.

Here's a couple of us painting Sister Morgan's walls after a Pre-Professional Writing Conference she encouraged us all to read essays at (which we did):

9 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your post Emily! Sister Morgan sounds like an amazing woman. I hope to be the kind of teacher that affects students' lives in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sister Morgan sounds amazing, as does your experience with her! I love that she made you not only care about your studies, but about your peers and their thoughts, too. So much of collaborative learning is about students AND instructors jumping in with both feet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an absolutely unique experience that I, unfortunately, don't think you will ever be able to have in a class again, but who knows. It sounded really fun and really educational all mashed into one, but how many profs (sisters) are going to open up their home until one normally? I wish that all class was like that...
    It is something we should all strive for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, painting. I really dislike it. But, painting is a good metaphor for teaching. Painting--it does matter. Like you write, "the job matters." It makes a difference. Yes, living life that way--call it hippie if you wish, but I call it sincerity-wholeheartedness-responsibility--is important. Choose a career that enables you to do that. Teach in ways that enable you to do that. I like commenting on blogs, for instance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading your post makes me feel as though it is possible for the "hippie" concepts of Trimbur to survive in a classroom environment. I want to be that professor, that person that students embrace. I want to make a difference, to influence their lives in ways which they will remember. Thank you for sharing a story which is so meaningful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great story, Emily. It really is motivating to hear about that kind of passion. It is contagious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Citizen Eco Drive Titanium Watch | TechRadar
    Home where can i buy titanium trim > titanium band ring Technology > Technology > TechRadar > titanium tv alternative Technology > Watches > Watches > Watches > Watches > Watches. Watches are 2018 ford fusion energi titanium a titanium color watch of the type of watches that the

    ReplyDelete